Click here to download the course leaflet (PDF format).
Successful NGOs provide high quality services to beneficiaries. Competition among NGOs in the delivery of services and in the acquisition of donor funding is rising. To achieve success, NGOs have to continually improve and professionalise their work, which puts more and more demands on the management and leadership of an organisation.
This comprehensive introductory course provides you with core knowledge, practical skills and tools to manage and lead effectively a non-profit organisation. All course modules are presented by experienced specialists with both field and headquarter experience with many organisations in numerous countries.
On day one, you first learn about the history and principal types of development cooperation and humanitarian aid, the main actors involved and their different approaches to development. You will then discuss perspectives and challenges of sustainable development.
Day two focuses on the strategic management of non-profit organisations, including an introduction to strategic and operational planning.
Day three is dedicated to fostering good communication, skilful leadership and professional human resource management – management is, in the end, “the art of getting things done through people” (Mary Parker Follet).
Day four in an introduction on how to prepare successful fundraising approaches and grant proposals.
On day five, the focus is on Results-Based Management, which is the dominant management approach of most organisations and donors, and on the project cycle. You learn the basics of how to make a need assessment, how to design and plan a project, and how to assess whether the project is on track and what is has achieved. This course includes short lectures, many exercises, group work on case studies and facilitated discussions.
Who should attend
The course will benefit in particular:
- Newly appointed directors
- Project and programme managers
- Team leaders
- Newcomers to the non-profit sector
- Consultants who carry out assignments for NGOs
How you and your organisation will benefit – Learning Objectives
The overall objective is to facilitate participants in understanding the importance and practice skills needed for strategic planning and organisational development within the context of the development sector.
On this course, participants will be able to:
- Become familiar with the history of development cooperation and humanitarian aid, learn about current international trends and challenges
- Describe the principal types and instruments in international development cooperation
- Understand the role and challenges of NGOs vis-à-vis the development concerns of the community
- Understand why strategy is important to the success of an NGO
- Learn what is involved in strategic planning
- Understand how to translate a strategic plan into an operational plan
- Learn the basics of how to develop and lead a team and how to resolve conflicts
- Gain insight into key criteria for successful human resource management.
- Become familiar with the principles of good communication and negotiations
- Understand how to select marketing tools for fundraising
- Describe the different criteria of donor agencies in supporting a project
- Learn how to structure and prepare a grant proposal
- Become familiar with Results-Based Management
- Learn the basics of project management: How to make a needs assessment, how to design and plan a project, and how to integrate monitoring into the project plan
- Learn about the process of internal assessments and about the use of and main criteria for external evaluations
|Day 1||Sustainable Development: Concepts and Perspectives
|Day 2||Strategic Management: From Strategic Planning to Implementation – Introduction to Strategic NGO Management
Strategic Planning: Achieving your Vision
Operational Planning: Translating Strategy into Action
|Day 3||Communication, Leadership Development and Human Resource Management
Human Resource Management
|Day 4||Fundraising and Grant Proposals – Fundraising Readiness
|Day 5||Introduction to Project Cycle Management and Result-Based Management (RBM)
Project Cycle Management: Overview and Phases
Interested in having this course conducted tailor-made for your organisation? Please contact us.