Developing a well formulated strategy accompanied by a robust plan for its implementation
Click here to download the course leaflet (PDF format)
Successfully leading and managing an organisation involves making and implementing strategic decisions concerning how to maintain your organisation’s direction whilst continuously improving performance and impact in a changing environment. Today, leaders and managers require a wide and diverse range of competencies to successfully motivate, drive and facilitate strategic development and change in an organisation.
This course is the second of three that make up NMA’s Certificate in Strategic Management, which focuses on the strategic management of non-profit organisations and its importance to their success. It provides you with core knowledge, practical skills and tools to support you in the strategic management of your organisation.
Developing a well formulated strategy accompanied by a robust plan for its implementation provides leaders and managers with a powerful tool with which to successfully guide their organisations. It provides an organisation with clear and shared direction as a basis for important ongoing decision-making concerning the allocation and use of available resources.
This course provides you with a practical understanding of what is involved in strategic planning and how to effectively design and manage a strategic planning process. It provides you with a range of different frameworks, tools and approaches for your organisation to be able to answer the following questions: Where are we now? Where do we want to go? How are we going to get there? How will we know that we have arrived?
Finally, this course provides you with an understanding of the challenges involved in successfully translating strategic intent into an actionable implementation plan as well as strategies for how to mitigate these issues.
Who should attend
Leaders and managers of non-profit organisations responsible or involved in the strategic management of an organisation, in particular:
- Executive Directors
- Senior Managers
- Programme Directors, Managers, and Coordinators
- Functional Directors, Managers, and Coordinators (such as of human resources, administration, planning, PME)
- Senior Project Managers
- Board Members
How you and your organisation will benefit – Learning Objectives
After this course, you will be able to:
- Identify and develop the key content of a strategic plan including vision, mission, values, aims, strategic priorities, objectives, strategies (small “s”) and approaches
- Understand the different phases of strategic planning and describe what is involved in a successful process
- Explain who should participate in strategic planning and when
- Understand how to translate strategy into a robust implementation plan and why this process is important, and describe the different ways implementation planning can be approached
- Explain the key functions of implementation planning (both organisational and programmatic): the alignment of resources (financial, human and physical) and structure, and the management of performance
- Describe the importance of performance monitoring and evaluation to achieving results, and explain the influence of results-based management and the pressure for increased aid effectiveness on NPOs
- Identify and use some of the different frameworks, tools and approaches available for strategic and implementation planning and assess which are of most relevance in a given situation
- Manage a successful strategic and implementation planning process
- Recognise and address the potential challenges and risks associated with translating strategic intent into organisational action
- Effectively monitor and evaluate the implementation of strategic and implementation plans
- Identify different types of strategies and understand and assess strategic management in practice
Emphasis is placed on “action learning” and each module features presentations, structured learning experiences, facilitated discussions, individual and group activities. Throughout the course, participants are encouraged to directly apply learning to their organisational context.
Interested in having this course conducted tailor-made for your organisation? Please contact us.